Fellow adventure seekers, are you ready to tear through hordes of enemies, destroying everyone who stands in your way? Then, welcome to our comprehensive Diablo 4 Whirlwind Barbarian build guide. After reading this article, you will learn about Whirlwind Barbarian gameplay, main skills, stat priority, paragon boards, gem choice, and much more. We will provide you with every bit of information you ever wanted to know about this build.
Before we jump straight into the guide, let us figure out what Whirlwind Barbarian build Diablo 4 is all about. To begin with, you will not be too strong during the early game, as you will not have access to your main skills and your Fury generation will be weak. However, everything will change when you approach the endgame content, as Whirlwind Barbarians excel at completing Nightmare Dungeon runs and other activities.
As you might have already guessed, Diablo 4 Whirlwind Barbarian revolves around constantly using the Whirlwind ability. On top of that, you will have a wide range of shouts to buff your damage output, survivability rate, and resource generation. They are War Cry, Rallying Cry, Challenging Shout, and Wrath of the Berserker. Nonetheless, it is essential to use them before you start Whirlwinding like mad or your skill channeling will be ceased.
If you are excited to try this build yet have no time to learn how to play Whirlwind Barbarian in Diablo 4 and level up from the very beginning, we have a solution for you. By ordering our Diablo 4 Barbarian Build Boost, you can get a completely ready-to-play character of the chosen build, including the Whirlwind one. It is a great opportunity to save your precious time and skip all the grind, making your way to the endgame content straight away.
IMPORTANT NOTE: At SkyCoach, you can also Buy Diablo 4 Boost at the lowest prices and with the fastest delivery. You can make your first purchase even CHEAPER if you find our special PROMO CODE (highlighted in green) hidden in this article and get a 20% DISCOUNT.
Check out our most popular Diablo 4 Boosting services offered at the best market price:
Whirlwind Barbarian Skills
Our Diablo 4 Whirlwind Barbarian build guide begins with a description of the main skills you will have in your arsenal. As we have already mentioned, they perfectly synergize with each other, allowing you to stay alive for long enough while dealing amazing damage to enemies around you. Below, you can find a detailed description of all Diablo 4 Whirlwind Barbarian skills you will be using:
- Whirlwind – This is the bread and butter of this build and your main damaging ability. It works in a straightforward manner, as you just need to start channeling it near an enemy/group of enemies and keep staying nearby to deal massive damage. By using Aspect of Grasping Whirlwind, you can significantly boost this skill, making it an even more powerful tool;
- Rallying Cry – This is one of your main abilities, allowing you to stay nearby your target while casting Whirlwind. It significantly boosts your Movement Speed and resource generation. On top of that, this buff is also applied to all allies around you;
- War Cry – By default, this skill only grants our party and us a damage buff. However, you will upgrade it later on, allowing it to make us Berserking as well;
- Challenging Shout – Significantly increases your survivability, as you take almost twice reduced damage for 6 seconds. Besides, you will make all surrounding enemies attack you. Combining it with the Tactical Challenging Shout upgrade, you will have a ton of Fury, meaning you can cast Whirlwind for a much longer period of time;
- Wrath of the Berserker – This Ultimate is a perfect choice for this particular build. The reason for this is that it acts as an additional source of Berserking and Unstoppable, meaning nothing will prevent you from spinning around enemies while dealing increased damage;
- Lunging Strike – Your primary mobility tool until you reach the endgame stage. It allows you to close the distance between you and the target while also generating a bit of Fury. However, it should be replaced with Iron Skin later on to gain extra survivability and have the opportunity to interrupt Whirlwind when it is necessary. It synergizes perfectly with Gohr’s Devastating Grips if you manage to get your hands on these gloves. BLOG20
Whirlwind Barbarian Pros and Cons
If you are not sure whether this build is worth your attention, let us describe Whirlwind Barbarian’s strong and weak sides. By learning this information, you can make a weighed decision on whether this build suits your playstyle and if it is worth spending your time to level up another character:
Starting with the Upsides, they include the following points:
- Easy to learn to play;
- Deals amazing damage with just one skill;
- Moves quickly around the battlefield while also dealing damage;
- Features a large variety of party buffs.
As for the Whirlwind Barbarian Weak Sides, they look as follows:
- Very limited AoE;
- Can only deal damage in a melee range;
- Highly Fury-dependent, especially during the early game;
- Moves slower while Whirlwinding.
If you have reached the point when you are tired of the leveling routine, we have you covered. By ordering our Diablo 4 Powerleveling service, our professional players will boost your character in no time. We guarantee the fastest completion time and the best market price.
Whirlwind Barbarian Arsenal System Explained
The Barbarian Arsenal System in Diablo 4 represents the class’s unique mechanic. It becomes automatically available once you hit level 5. To put it shortly, you can assign a certain weapon for every attacking skill and get unique bonuses for this. After that, you can start leveling up your weapon expertise. Reaching Rank 10 grants you additional bonuses.
The process of leveling weapons works in a straightforward way, as you gain XP for just hitting enemies. However, you cannot get any weapon XP for participating in PvP. On top of that, you will unlock Barbarian Technique Slot after you complete the Barbarian class quest. The latter can be done after you reach level 15. This feature lets you choose an extra weapon power to benefit from all the time.
When playing as Whirlwind Barbarian, you usually want to go for the following effects:
- Two-Handed Sword Expertise – Combined with Aspect of Berserk Ripping and Furious Whirlwind, you can deal a ton of Bleeding damage;
- Two-Handed Axe Expertise – Allows you to deal even more damage against Vulnerable enemies.
It is important to mention that you always want to use a Slashing weapon for your Whirlwind skill. Otherwise, you will not be able to benefit from Furious Whirlwind and lose your potential Bleeding damage. Therefore, you do not need to use Diablo 4 Barbarian switch weapons feature when using this playstyle. The game will automatically choose the best-suiting weapon.
Whirlwind Barbarian Stat Priority
When it comes to Diablo 4 Whirlwind Barbarian stat priority, it generally looks the following way:
You benefit the most from Strength, as it increases your damage output like no other stats do. Depending on the situation, you can choose between Dexterity and Willpower, as both stats are great in terms of increasing your damage output. However, do avoid Intelligence at any cost since it provides no significant bonuses you are looking for when playing this build.
If you wonder what per-slot stats you value the most, they are Critical Strike Damage, Vulnerable Damage, and Core Skill Damage. Here is a detailed table covering information on what stats you benefit from most when wearing a particular equipment piece:
|Gear Slot||Stat Priority|
|Two-Handed Bludgeoning Weapon||
|Dual Wield Weapon 1||
|Dual Wield Weapon 2||
|Two-Handed Slashing Weapon||
Apart from following the presented-above stat priority, you need to make sure you have the best Diablo 4 Whirlwind Barbarian Legendaries equipped. This is especially important during the leveling process, as you will always have to change your existing gear to something more powerful you acquire from dungeons or quests.
To ensure you deal the highest damage and stay alive for as long as possible, you cannot neglect equipment upgrading. However, it costs a lot of gold and requires you to have certain materials, which are also expensive and hard to find. To become richer and purchase everything you need, you can Buy Diablo 4 Gold with our company’s help. We guarantee the best market price and the fastest delivery time.
Best Whirlwind Barbarian Legendary Aspects
Unfortunately, wearing the best Whirlwind Barbarian items is not enough to crush everyone who stands in your way. Another important point of unlocking this build’s full potential is to imprint proper Legendary Aspects onto every piece of gear you wear.
- Codex of Power
The Codex of Power feature stores all Legendary Aspects you get after completing certain Dungeons for the first time. Aspects acquired this way can be used an infinite number of times yet provide you with a weaker effect.
Here is a list of Legendary Aspects you should be striving to get from Diablo 4 Barbarian Dungeons:
|Dungeon Name||Legendary Aspect Name||Gear Slot|
|Garan Hold - Scosglen||Aspect of the Dire Whirlwind||2H Weapon|
|Siroccos Caverns - Kehjistan||Aspect of Echoing Fury||Rings|
|Oldstones - Scosglen||Edgemaster’s Aspect||Amulet|
|Heathen's Keep - Hawezar||Aspect of Numbing Wrath||Helm|
|Halls of the Damned - Kehjistan||Aspect of Disobedience||Chest|
|Mournfield – Dry Steppes||Aspect of Berserk Ripping||2H Weapon|
|Lost Archives – Fractured Peaks||Aspect of the Protector||Pants|
|Broken Bulwark - Scosglen||Ghostwalker Aspect||Boots|
- Legendary Aspects from Items
If you are looking forward to obtaining more powerful Legendary Aspects, you can extract them from Items. At the same time, you do not have too many equipment pieces with aspects in them, especially in the early game. The best sources to obtain items with Legendary aspects are PvP zones, Local Events, and Tree of Whispers.
Here is a list of Legendary Aspects you should be striving to get from items:
|Legendary Aspect Name||Gear Slot|
|Bold Chieftain's Aspect||Rings|
|Aspect of Grasping Whirlwind||Gloves|
|Aspect of Limitless Rage||2H Weapon|
|Conceited Aspect||2H Weapon|
It is highly recommended that you use aspects extracted from items, as the provided effects will be noticeably stronger. However, using the ones from the Codex works fine as well, especially if you are only starting out.
Best Whirlwind Barbarian Unique Items
Finishing the main storyline unlocks not only a variety of endgame activities but also the possibility to loot Sacred and Ancestral items. The former becomes available when you reach level 50 and change your difficulty level to Nightmare. The latter can be found after you hit level 50 and start playing on Torment difficulty. Both item types are much stronger than any Whirlwind Barbarian Legendary items you can get your hands on yet feature an extremely low drop chance.
If you manage to obtain any of the below-listed Diablo 4 Whirlwind Barbarian Unique items, you should equip them undoubtedly, as they are super powerful and provide you with special bonuses that cannot be found on any other equipment pieces:
- Gohr’s Devastating Grips – Makes your Whirlwind ability shine as bright as ever. It lets you one-shot large mob group with just one explosion you get after interrupting your Whirlwind;
- The Grandfather – Significantly boosts your Critical Strike Damage, which you value a lot;
- Harlequin Crest – Provides you with extra survivability and also increases all your skills’ ranks;
- Rage of Harrogath – Since you will be applying Bleeding all the time, this Chest is a great option to have your non-Ultimate skills cooldown faster;
- Temerity – Another gear piece increasing your survivability rate, which can never be extra considering the fact you are always in the middle of the fight.
To ensure you deal the highest damage possible, you need to upgrade your Whirlwind Barbarian weapons in the first instance. Once you get your hands on the BiS weapon, The Grandfather, you need to upgrade it to +4 and do not think of other equipment pieces too much. After making it to +4, you can prioritize other Whirlwind Barbarian armor parts and upgrade them to +2.
Whirlwind Barbarian Paragon Boards
Making your way to level 50 opens another endgame feature called Paragon Boards. After hitting level 50, you will start gaining 4 Paragon Points per level until you reach the level cap. If you combine this number with 20 points from Renown and 4 points from Altars of Lilith, you have a total of 225 Paragon Points.
Here is the best way to distribute your Whirlwind Barbarian Paragon Points in Diablo 4:
- Starting Board – Here, you want to open Brawn + Iron Strength + Raw Power by using the shortest ways. At the same time, you want to pick up Physical Damage and Strength nodes. When it comes to the Socket, go for Territorial and make it stronger by opening as many Dexterity nodes around as possible. Then, make your way to the Gate at the top.
- Warbringer Board – Rotate the board as shown in the screenshot below. Here, you need to path towards Warbringer while picking up Hungering Fury and Raw Power. As for the Socket, go for Exploit and unlock as many Dexterity nodes around it as possible to increase the effect.
- Decimator Board – Rotate the board as shown in the screenshot below. Here, you do not want to pick up the Legendary node. Instead, make your way to Demolish + Arrogance + Pillage. As for the Socket, go for Imbiber and buff it with the surrounding Willpower nodes.
- Flawless Technique Board – Rotate the board as shown in the screenshot below. We skip the Legendary node again. Unlock Havoc + Brash. As for the Socket, go for Disembowel and boost it with the surrounding Willpower nodes.
- Bone Breaker Board – Once again, skip the Legendary node. Start making your way towards the Socket and go for Wrath. Then, upgrade it with Dexterity nodes around it. Finally, unlock Vigor and path towards the Gate at the bottom.
- Weapons Master Board – Forget about the Legendary node again. Go for Hunter Killer + Iron Strength + Raw Power. In the Socket, choose Marshal to make your shouts cooldown faster.
All Paragon Boards you see in this section of the guide are built in such a way as to grant a ton of extra Strength, your main stat. On top of that, we have tried our best to include all the strongest Rare and Magic nodes. If you lack Paragon Points, you can use our Diablo 4 Paragon Leveling service and get as many of them as you need.
Best Whirlwind Barbarian Glyphs
In this section of our guide, we will pay a bit more attention to what Diablo 4 Whirlwind Barbarian Glyphs you want to hunt for and why. We will also share the priority you should be upgrading your Glyphs. Do remember that you can only increase your Glyphs level by completing Nightmare Dungeons. However, they are definitely worth every attempt taken.
You may want to ask why it is so important to level up Glyphs. The main reason for this is that Glyphs increase in radius when they reach level 15, meaning they can benefit from more nodes surrounding them. Here is a general priority in which you should level up Glyphs we mentioned in the previous paragraph:
- Exploit – You value a lot from making an enemy Vulnerable and you can apply this effect just by attacking a target. As a rule, you want to place it in the board where as many Dexterity nodes as possible surround it. For instance, it can be Warbringer Board;
- Wrath – Since your Whirlwind ability is considered to be a Core skill and you have a 100% Crit Chance from Aspect of the Dire Whirlwind, this Glyph is a true find for this build. Place it in the Bone Breaker Board to benefit from it the most;
- Marshal – Apart from using our “magic” button, you have a range of Shouts that make it more efficient. By using this Glyph, you can activate them more often, meaning more damage, survivability, and movement speed. Make sure to place it into Weapons Master Board;
- Territorial – Since you are always attacking a target in a melee range, this is the Glyph you benefit from a lot. Place it into Starting Board, as you will have enough Dexterity nodes to gain its bonus effect;
- Disembowel – The reason why this Glyph is so good is the fact every enemy you kill is affected by Bleeding. Place it into Flawless Technique Board to gain maximum bonuses from having Willpower nodes around;
- Imbiber – You have enough sources of staying Healthy all the time, making this Glyph a perfect alternative for extra survivability. Make sure to place it into Decimator Board for a better effect.
You see the order you should be upgrading your Glyphs in. Once you make them all to level 15, keep up doing the same and upgrade them up to level 21.
Best Gems for Whirlwind Barbarian
When squeezing every bit of extra stats in the end game, you cannot miss out on gems. The latter is inserted into the most powerful equipment pieces to make them even better. While gems might not be that important during the early game because you are constantly changing your gear, they are absolutely essential later on. Make sure you get your hands on the Royal version of every gem we are going to describe below to gain the best effect possible.
If you do not know what best gems for Whirlwind Barbarian in Diablo 4 are, we have you covered here:
- Weapon Slot – Choose Emerald for higher Crit Strike Damage against Vulnerable enemies;
- Armor Slot – Pick Sapphire for extra Damage Reduction while Fortified;
- Jewelry Slot – Go for Skull, as it provides you with additional Armor, which increases your overall survivability rate.
Do remember that you can replace these Diablo 4 Whirlwind Barbarian gems is the situation requires it. However, the described-above choice will work more than fine for most combat scenarios.
Best Elixirs & Incenses for Whirlwind Barbarian
Elixirs and Incenses provide you with additional stats and bonuses for 30 and 20 minutes accordingly. To craft these consumables, you need to find certain reagents first. After that, go to the Alchemist NPC located in any major town and craft the following:
- Elixir of Resourcefulness – Can be extremely useful during the early stages of the game yet do not neglect using it later on as well;
- Elixir of Fortitude – If you lack survivability, this elixir can increase your Maximum Life by 30%, which is a ton;
- Elixir of Savagery – Since you value Crit Strike Damage a lot, this elixir is a must-have in tough fights against packs of Elites or a tough Boss;
- Heady Precision Elixir – Works in a similar way to the previous elixir yet provides you with an extra Crit Strike Chance as well.
Do remember that all Elixirs grant you a 5% extra XP apart from the main bonus you get from them. This might seem like nothing but can help you speed up your leveling process a bit. As for Incenses, make sure to craft the following:
- Song of the Mountain – Since you are fighting in a melee range, you will always be surrounded by other players, which means you will have a ton of additional Armor;
- Reddamine Buzz – Works in the same way yet provides you with Maximum Life instead of Armor.
As a rule, you want to use Elixirs and Incenses when participating in challenging activities. One of them can be dungeons where you will face off against tons of dangerous enemies. If you cannot complete a particular dungeon run, make sure to use our Diablo 4 Dungeon Carry services and let our pros do this job for you.
Whirlwind Barbarian Leveling Guide
Yeah, we know that the leveling process in Diablo 4 is tough and challenging. It takes so much time to reach the level cap and immerse yourself in the end game. However, you can do it faster if you are using the correct Diablo 4 Whirlwind Barbarian leveling build and following the right skill priority.
On top of that, it is essential to use Whirlwind Barbarian best weapon you find during leveling, as it can help you deal with mobs much faster. If you manage to get your hands on something really rare, do not forget to upgrade it at the Blacksmith to make it even deadlier.
In general, your Whirlwind Barbarian skill tree should look like this:
- Starting Off (Levels 2-3)
In the early game, you do not have other options than Lunging Strike and its upgrades. This skill will serve as a mobility tool to gap close the distance faster and a Fury generator.
- Level 2: Lunging Strike;
- Level 3: Enhanced Lunging Strike.
- Getting the Main Skill (Levels 4-7)
You get access to your major skill quite early and can start farming mobs with a much faster speed. We also continue to upgrade our Lunging Strike to make it apply Bleeding as well.
- Level 4: Whirlwind;
- Level 5: Enhanced Whirlwind;
- Level 6: Furious Whirlwind;
- Level 7: Battle Lunging Strike.
- Unlocking Shouts & Enhancing Damage (Levels 8-20)
This is the moment when the build starts unlocking its potential. The reason for this is that you gain access to your main shouts. They are Rallying Cry and War Cry. The first one should be used on cooldown while the second one is vital when fighting tougher enemies like Elites or Bosses. We also unlock Leap for extra mobility and Fury generation.
- Level 8: Rallying Cry;
- Level 9: Enhanced Rallying Cry;
- Level 10: Tactical Rallying Cry;
- Levels 11-14: Whirlwind;
- Level 15: War Cry;
- Level 16: Enhanced War Cry;
- Level 17: Power War Cry;
- Level 18: Leap;
- Level 19: Enhanced Leap;
- Level 20: Power Leap.
- Crucial Passives & The Ultimate (Levels 21-34)
After unlocking Call of the Ancients, you will no longer fight alone. You can summon three companions to aid you in battle and soak some damage for you. We also unlock essential passive abilities that significantly boost our Fury generation, damage output, and survivability rate.
- Level 21: Hamstring;
- Level 22-23: Booming Voice;
- Level 24: Raid Leader;
- Level 25: Call of the Ancients;
- Level 26: Prime Call of the Ancients;
- Level 27: Supreme Call of the Ancients;
- Level 28: Aggressive Resistance;
- Level 29-31: Prolific Fury;
- Levels 32-34: Pit Fighter.
- Unlocking True Potential (Levels 34-49)
- Level 35: Unbridled Rage/Unconstrained;
- Levels 36-39: Rallying Cry;
- Level 40-41: Raid Leader;
- Levels 42: Booming Voice;
- Level 43-45: No Mercy;
- Level 46-48: Heavy Handed;
- Level 49: Pressure Point.
Apart from spending your main Skill Points, you will have up to 10 extra of them from Renown bonuses. If you are lucky to have them, make sure to distribute them in the following way:
- Renown 1-2: Pressure Point;
- Renown 3-5: Guttural Yell;
- Renown 6-7: Thick Skin;
- Renown 8-10: Counteroffensive.
Another important thing many players forget about is to complete a special Barbarian quest. The latter becomes available at level 15 and should be done immediately. Once it is finished, place 2H Swords in your Technique Slot. This will allow you to apply Bleed and Slow from Hamstring. And once again, make sure to use the best Whirlwind Barbarian Legendary weapons that drop from mobs or quests. This will significantly increase your damage output and let you clear objectives faster.
Fellow heroes, this brings us to the end of our Diablo 4 Whirlwind Barbarian guide. We hope you had a fun time reading it and learned a lot of new things concerning this build. Our team has tried its best to cover all build’s aspects, including its main skills, stat priority, paragon boards, gem choice, and others. Make sure to stay with us, as we will keep updating this guide if any changes occur.
What is the best build for Barbarian in Diablo 4?
One of the most efficient and easy-to-learn builds for this class is Whirlwind Barbarian.
Is Whirlwind Barbarian good?
Whirlwind Barbarian struggles a bit during the early game yet turns out to be extremely powerful in the end game. In general, this is a reliable Barbarian build, which is easy to master and fun to play.
What is the best Whirlwind Barbarian weapon?
Since you want your Crit Strike Damage to be devastating, The Grandfather is the best weapon alternative for Whirlwind Barbarian.
Which gem is best for Whirlwind Barbarian Diablo 4?
As a Whirlwind Barbarian, you want to use the following gems:
What stat is best for Barbarian?
Strength is the Barbarian’s main stat and should be prioritized over other ones.