Welcome all Exiles to the most complete overview of the Path of Exile Affliction League and everything it’s going to change in our beloved game. PoE patch 3.23 marks a thrilling new chapter in the ever-evolving saga of Wraeclast. This update introduces exiles to a unique and immersive experience, blending the game's rich lore with innovative gameplay elements.
There’re new PoE 3.23 League mechanics where you fight enemies changed by different types of Wisps. Each type makes enemies stronger, but killing them also gives you better rewards. There are 3 new Ascendancy classes that you can unlock, each with its own passive skill tree, one of which can be customized by you. The addition of Transfigured Gems is going to change and expand the ways exiles approach making builds. Let’s dive into all of these features and some more in greater detail.
IMPORTANT NOTE: At SkyCoach, you can also Buy PoE Boost at the lowest prices and with the fastest delivery. You can make your first purchase even CHEAPER if you find our special PROMO CODE (highlighted in green) hidden in this article and get a 20% DISCOUNT.
Check out some of our most popular PoE Boosting services below:
Affliction Challenge League Features
The Affliction Challenge League in Path of Exile 3.23 Update introduces a thrilling and mysterious adventure set in the enigmatic Viridian Wildwood. This once vibrant forest has fallen under a dark curse, transforming it into a realm of shadows and unknown dangers.
As exiles delve into the Wildwood, they are guided by Sacred Wisps, ethereal guides that illuminate the path through the darkness. These wisps reveal hidden pathways and secrets, allowing exiles to navigate the afflicted forest and uncover its mysteries. The core of the league's challenge lies in battling the darkness that has engulfed the forest and confronting the malevolent force behind it.
The way it works is you navigate through an area of the Wildwood following a trail of Sacred Wisps. As you follow the trail, you collect the Wisps, and eventually, you will find enemies or bosses to kill and other activities hidden in the darkness. But the trail of Wisps is not endless, and when it ends, you can return to Wraeclast.
Your collected Wisps will spread around the map, inhabiting surrounding monsters and even bosses. They will empower those enemies affected but also increase the rewards for killing them. There are different types of Wisps, and they can all be possessed by the same monster or boss. The effects of empowering and the rewards will also stack as a result. There are three types of wisps:
- Primal (blue) - provide a bonus to item rarity of rewards
- Wild (purple) - provide a bonus to the amount of items that drop
- Vivid (yellow) - make enemies drop currency items
If a monster gets all three types, they’ll drop more items of a higher rarity and a lot of currency.
Central to this narrative are three unique NPCs whom you will encounter when exploring the Wildwoods. Each of them has their own backstory and expertise, adding depth and intrigue to the league:
- The Primal Huntress
- The Breaker of Oaths
- The Warden of Eaves
Each NPC provides a questline and a bunch of skills that they can teach you. Each of them will offer you one of three new Ascendancy classes, which you can add to your regular Ascendancy class. As you complete quests for your chosen Azmeri master, you will unlock up to 8 points for these classes.
|Warden of the Maji
|A powerful class that takes advantage of wilderness knowledge
|Warlock of the Mists
|This class is designed for exiles who wish to harness the mystical and forbidden powers associated with ancient Azmeri rituals.
|This class stands out for its unique approach to customization and versatility. It allows exiles to tailor their skill tree in innovative ways, diverging from the traditional Ascendancy class structures.
Let’s talk some more about what Charms are. According to the PoE 3.23 patch notes, these are the items that let you customize your tree. These items boast random mods that borrow stats from the usual Ascendancy classes, giving you the freedom to craft your very own blend of Ascendancy awesomeness!
The ultimate antagonist of the league is the King in the Mists, a mysterious and powerful entity responsible for the forest's corruption. exiles must gather their strength and cunning to confront this formidable foe and unravel the truth behind the Viridian Wildwood's affliction.
In addition to the immersive storyline, there is a series of new Path of Exile Affliction Challenges, encouraging exiles to explore every corner of this darkened realm. Completing these Affliction league challenges rewards exiles with exclusive items and achievements, adding to the league's appeal.
Earning Wildwood Ascendancy Points
You'll receive your first 2 Wildwood Ascendancy Points when you first meet with the NPC trainers and choose their specialization. You can earn the next 4 points by completing 2 quests given by each NPC, totaling 4 points. The last 2 points are obtained by defeating the King in the Mists. Successfully completing this challenge unlocks the final 2 points for all three Wildwood Ascendancies. Notably, if you complete this quest early (such as in Multiexile mode), it will still count towards these points, even if you haven't reached that quest stage yet.
In contrast to the traditional Ascendancy Classes, resetting points in a Wildwood Ascendancy Class is a breeze, requiring just one refund point per passive. Plus, you won't need to wipe the slate clean entirely to switch to a different Wildwood Ascendancy. To make the switch, simply seek out the Azmeri Wanderer linked to your desired Wildwood Ascendancy in the Viridian Wildwood. BLOG20
What's New in PoE 3.23?
Continuing our overview, we’re moving on to talking about Ultimatum Changes in PoE that happened thanks to constant community feedback. One of the most significant updates in Path of Exile's 3.23 Affliction League is the integration of the Ultimatum mechanic into the core game. This inclusion marks a pivotal shift in the gameplay dynamics, offering both new and experienced exiles fresh challenges and rewards.
In Path of Exile 3.23, the Ultimatum mechanic has been integrated into the core game, bringing a unique and challenging experience to exiles. Here's a summary of how Ultimatum works in the 3.23 update:
- Chance of Encounter: exiles have an approximately 8% chance to encounter the Trialmaster and his Trials of Chaos in maps, adding an element of unpredictability and excitement to the gameplay.
- Ten-Round Structure: Ultimatum Encounters are now standardized to 10 rounds. This structure allows exiles to progressively take on more challenging tasks with each round, testing their skills and strategies.
- Trialmaster's Arena: In areas with a level of 81 or higher, exiles have a chance to be teleported to the Trialmaster's Arena for the 10th and final round, offering a heightened level of challenge and reward.
- Rebalanced Modifiers: The Ultimatum modifiers have been rebalanced, with some new modifiers added and others removed. This ensures a diverse and fair challenge for exiles. Moreover, specific modifiers have now been assigned higher tiers of difficulty.
- Reward System: Monsters in Ultimatum Encounters no longer drop loot, except for the Trialmaster. However, they continue to grant experience. This change shifts the focus of rewards to the completion of challenges rather than regular monster drops.
- New Tainted Catalyst: a fresh reward courtesy of the Trialmaster. This item bestows random quality upon a Corrupted Ring, Amulet, or Belt, elevating the item's attributes to new heights.
These changes significantly alter the Ultimatum mechanics, making them a more integral and dynamic part of the Path of Exile gameplay experience in the 3.23 update.
New Unique Items and Divination Cards
There’s an array of new content in Path of Exile Affliction in the form of new Divination Cards and Unique Items, enriching the game's vast collection and offering exiles more ways to customize and enhance their gameplay experience.
- The update adds four new Divination Cards, expanding the already extensive collection available to exiles.
- Two of these cards have been designed by the community's supporters, while the other two are the result of the Event winners' creative contributions.
- These new cards provide exiles with specific targets to farm for, adding an extra layer of strategy and reward to the game.
- Each card has its unique drop location and reward, ranging from currency items to rare equipment, offering something valuable for different types of exiles.
- In addition to the array of Divination Cards, the update brings forth 16 brand-new Unique Items, among them 7 intriguing Replica Uniques.
- These items bring fresh mechanics and build possibilities, allowing exiles to experiment with new playstyles and strategies.
- The new Uniques are designed to synergize with various builds and can significantly alter gameplay, providing new ways to tackle challenges.
- Among these items, exiles can find everything from powerful weapons and armor to intriguing utility items, each with its distinct abilities and lore.
The introduction of these new Divination Cards and Unique Items not only adds more depth to the game's rich itemization system but also provides exiles with exciting new goals and build possibilities.
Transfigured Gems in PoE 3.23
Another significant new feature has been introduced in the form of Skill Gem Overhaul in PoE 3.23, and its called Transfigured Gems. They represent alternative iterations of existing skill gems, providing distinct functionalities and balance adjustments in contrast to their standard counterparts. This innovative system represents a major shift in the game's metagame, providing exiles with a plethora of new possibilities and build combinations. Transfigured Gems are designed to drastically alter how existing skills are played, opening up a new realm of strategic depth and customization for exiles.
Effects on Skill Gems and Labyrinth Rewards
While this is not a definitive Transfigured Gems Guide, here is proof of why they have a profound impact on the behavior and utility of skill gems. For instance:
|Impact on Gameplay
|Frost Bomb of Instability
|Cooldown skill for large explosions
|Continuously castable with reduced damage; does not apply cold exposure
|Shifts from a utility skill to a primary damage dealer
|Detonate Dead of Scavenging
|Used on corpses for damage
|Significantly increased damage; cannot be used on corpses created by Desecrate or Unearth
|Offers a trade-off between damage output and usability, influencing build optimization
|Raise Zombie of Falling
|Raising a zombie from a corpse
|Zombies are summoned from mid-air, falling to their death and dealing AoE damage
|Transforms the skill into a physical damage version of Firestorm, scaling with minion damage
|Blight of Contagion
|Spreads a debuff that deals chaos damage over time
|Spread by Contagion, complementing Essence Drain builds
|Alters the skill's application method, integrating it into Essence Drain builds
As you can see from this table, your regular gems can now work completely differently from what you’re used to. This means that there’re many more new options to base your build on which is great for the meta game.
How to find Transfigured Gems?
The Eternal Labyrinth's Divine Font has been revamped into a versatile gem crafting tool, offering numerous new ways to enhance your skill and support gems. Among its various functions, you now have the ability to transform a standard skill gem into one of three distinct Transfigured variants. However, the capabilities of the Divine Font extend far beyond just this. It offers a range of other gem-enhancing options. For instance, you can increase a gem's quality, boost its experience level, or even trade in a gem for one or more Treasure Keys, which are used to unlock Izaro’s Chests. Additionally, the Divine Font allows for the exchange of regular Support Gems for exceptional versions, such as Empower or Enlighten.
Skill Gem Changes in Path of Exile 3.23
In the 3.23 update of Path of Exile, numerous skill gems have undergone significant changes. These adjustments are part of the game's ongoing evolution, aiming to provide a more dynamic and engaging gameplay experience. Some of the notable changes include:
- Absolution: Quality now increases Minions' Cooldown Recovery Rate instead of their Damage.
- Alchemist's Mark: Quality enhances the Effect of Mark rather than its Area of Effect.
- Ambush: Quality now boosts Exerted Attacks' Critical Strike Chance.
- Ancestral Cry: Increased Cooldown Recovery Rate is now enhanced by Quality.
- Ancestral Protector: Quality now adds to Melee Strike Range instead of increasing Totem Damage.
- Ancestral Warchief: Quality now increases Activation range instead of Totem Damage.
- Animate Guardian: Changes in Minion Life and Damage, with inherent increases in base Life and added Physical Damage.
- Animate Weapon: Quality now increases the Maximum number of Animated Weapons.
- Arc: Base Critical Strike Chance increased, with more Damage for each remaining Chain and Quality enhancing the Chain count.
- Arcane Cloak: Quality now boosts Buff Effect instead of Skill Effect Duration.
- Armageddon Brand: Quality now increases Damage.
The 3.23 update has also seen a buff to the quality stats on most damage-dealing skills, making them significantly more powerful and interesting. This enhancement in quality stats is expected to influence exiles' choices in skill gem selection and usage, potentially leading to the discovery of new and effective skill combinations. The update represents one of the largest metagame shifts in Path of Exile's history, promising a fresh and exciting experience for both new and veteran exiles. With these changes, the game continues to evolve, offering a rich and diverse array of tactical options for exiles to explore and master.
Atlas Updates in Path of Exile 3.23
In the 3.23 update of Path of Exile, there have been some major Atlas adjustments in Affliction League, specifically in its map composition.
- Maps Added Back to the Atlas: Ghetto, Canyon, Jungle Valley, Dry Sea, Conservatory, Dig, Spider Lair, Park, Fields, Sepulchre, Arid Lake, Burial Chambers, Overgrown Ruin, Core, Laboratory, Plaza, Waste Pool, Bramble Valley, Relic Chambers, Ancient City, Foundry, Gardens, Crimson Township, Desert, Crystal Ore, Grotto, Ramparts, Crater, Arachnid Tomb, and Silo.
- Maps Removed from the Atlas: Waterways, Cold River, Phantasmagoria, Tower, Leyline, Beach, Pit, Sunken City, Pen, Factory, Excavation, Malformation, Courthouse, Geode, Dungeon, Mausoleum, Terrace, Primordial Pool, Lava Lake, Haunted Mansion, Primordial Blocks, Graveyard, Sulphur Vents, Arachnid Tomb, Cells, Alleyways, and Barrows.
The reshuffling of map tiers and locations in the Atlas significantly alters the progression and strategic planning for exiles. This change impacts the journey through the endgame, influencing decisions on map prioritization and Atlas optimization. The Atlas changes affect the map bosses required for Pantheon upgrades and the availability of crafting recipes. Different bosses present new challenges, and essential crafting recipes are now located in other maps on the Atlas.
The Path of Exile 3.23 update has introduced a series of significant changes that collectively reshape the game's landscape. Key among these updates are:
- Transfigured Gems: they offer alternative versions of existing skill gems. These new additions encourage innovative skill combinations and build strategies.
- Skill Gem Changes: The quality stats of most damage-dealing skills have been enhanced, leading to more powerful and interesting gameplay dynamics.
- Atlas Changes: The addition and removal of maps, along with the reshuffling of map tiers and locations, have revitalized the endgame experience. This reshuffle not only brings new challenges but also affects strategic decisions in Atlas's progression.
- Map Bosses and Crafting: Changes in map bosses and the relocation of crafting recipes add further depth to the game, requiring exiles to adapt their strategies to the new Atlas layout.
Collectively, these updates represent one of the most significant shifts in Path of Exile's history. Exiles are encouraged to dive into this refreshed world, exploring the new possibilities opened up by the changes. The introduction of Transfigured Gems alone promises a wealth of new build opportunities, while the Atlas updates invite exiles to re-engage with the endgame in novel and exciting ways.
What Is PoE Affliction League?
The Affliction League is a new challenge league introduced in Path of Exile's 3.23 update. In this league, exiles encounter Sacred Wisps that lead them to the Viridian Wildwood, where they must uncover mysteries and combat a vile affliction spreading through the forest. This league offers unique mechanics, challenges, and rewards, providing a fresh experience for both new and veteran exiles.
Is Ultimatum in PoE 3.23?
Yes, Ultimatum has been reintegrated into the core gameplay of Path of Exile in the 3.23 update. This means exiles can once again engage with the challenges and rewards of the Ultimatum League as part of their regular gameplay experience.
Are There New Uniques in PoE Affliction?
Yes, the Path of Exile Affliction update introduces a variety of new unique items and divination cards. These new items offer exiles additional tools and mechanics to enhance their gameplay, allowing for more diverse and creative build strategies.
What Are Transfigured Gems in PoE Affliction League?
Transfigured Gems in the PoE Affliction League are alternative versions of existing skill gems with unique functionalities and balances. They provide exiles with new ways to experiment with skill combinations and build strategies, significantly impacting the game's meta and offering fresh gameplay experiences.
How To Find Transfigured Gems?
Transfigured Gems can be obtained by modifying skill and support gems using the Divine Font, a gem crafting device found at the end of the Eternal Labyrinth in Path of Exile. This device allows exiles to transform their standard skill gems into one of the Transfigured variants, among other gem-crafting options.
Are There New Ascendancy Classes in Path of Exile Affliction League?
The Path of Exile Affliction League does not introduce new Ascendancy classes. However, it brings various updates and changes to the game, including new unique items, Transfigured Gems, and significant alterations to the Atlas, which collectively offer new build possibilities and gameplay strategies.
What Changed in Atlas in PoE Affliction?
In the PoE Affliction update, the Atlas of Worlds has undergone significant changes. Several maps have been added back to the Atlas, while others have been removed. Additionally, there has been a reshuffling of map tiers and locations, altering the progression and strategic planning for exiles in the endgame. These changes refresh the Atlas exploration experience and introduce new challenges and strategic considerations.